Latest Update on Capital Campaign
May 9, 2017
Dear People of St. Paul & the Redeemer,
I write with exciting news. The construction work on our building is beginning! For a couple years now, the SPR leadership has been taking seriously our call to make sure this parish remains a place that can mirror the radical hospitality practiced by Jesus. The Vestry knew that to do that we could not neglect the needs of our building. And so, with considerable input from the congregation, we developed a plan that would make our building more accessible (elevator and new ramps), more hospitable (refurbished Parish Hall), more sustainable (new HVAC and windows), and more able to serve neighbor (updating SPR’s food pantry and adding church walls in Haiti) while investing in necessary repair projects. This parish has helped people experience the Holy for 158 years, has made present the life of Jesus for 158 years, has built meaningful community for 158 years. SPR is an essential institution and your generosity keeps it flourishing. Some details:
- Contractor Chosen: The Capital Campaign Leadership Team selected Millennium General Contracting to do the work. Millennium comes highly recommended and has done excellent work in places like the Knickerbocker Hotel.
- Timeline: Millennium predicts the work will take 24 weeks. The first thing done will be asbestos abatement, followed by the outdoor concrete work necessary to redo the entrance ramps.
- Disruption: We will have church in the sanctuary every Sunday. Other parts of the building will come in and out of use. The Parish Hall will be closed most of the summer. We’ll keep you updated on other closures.
- Haiti Walls: We selected a General Contractor for the work in Haiti as well: G.O.M International. S.A. We are working with them and with Fr. Milor of St. Patrick’s to schedule the work.
- Giving: In total, the parish pledged over $1.4 million. We are so grateful that over $645,000 has already been given. Thank you for your amazing generosity.
- Borrowing: We will be opening a line of credit with Hyde Park Bank to allow us to finish the work before we all pledge payments are received. If able, please fulfill your pledge earlier and save the parish the interest expense.
When the work is finished, we will have a fully accessible church with a beautiful parish hall, wonderful Byllesby room, air conditioning, and so much more. Those are not our ends. Our ends are glorifying God and making beloved community. A more functional, beautiful space is a mean to those ends. Thank you for your generosity as we, together, support St. Paul & the Redeemer.
The Rev. Peter Lane, Rector